Master Gardeners of the Ozarks host two gardening series
FORSYTH, Mo. — Master Gardeners of the Ozarks will offer a series of gardening programs this spring and summer. Programs will be held in the backyard of the Taney County MU Extension Center in Forsyth at the Master Gardener’s Demonstration Garden.
The Brown Bag Lunch series programs will be held on the third Tuesday of the month, April through September, and will begin at noon and last about one hour. There will be two Saturday sessions this year, one in April and the other in September, including a plant sale and will be available to answer questions.
These programs are free and open to the public as part of the Master Gardeners community education outreach.
First class is ‘Springtime in the Garden’
The first class of the series will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 9. “Springtime in the Garden” is the topic for this program.
The Missouri Department of Conservation will be on hand at 10 a.m. to provide information on native trees and shrubs, and in observation of Arbor Day, Viburnum shrubs and plum trees will be free to attendees.
At 1 p.m., Master Gardeners Marva Ramsey and Cathy Meyer, will do a leaf casting demonstration. The process involves using a real plant leaf as a mold for a concrete casting.
‘Brown Bag Lunch’ series
The first “Brown Bag Lunch” series class will begin at noon on Tuesday, April 19 in the demonstration garden. Kathryn Kufahl, a Master Gardener, will present a program on “New Plants to try this Season.”
“Every year we have the opportunity to change the garden with different plants in varying combinations. New choices are offered and the array can be overwhelming. Come and discuss some of the available options and look forward to adding something unique to your garden this growing season,” said Kufahl.
The 2016 schedule for the series for classes is as follows:
• Saturday, April 9, 10 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Springtime in the Garden
• Tuesday, April 19, Noon – New Plants to Try This Season
• Tuesday, May 17, Noon – The Ozarks: Perfect Place for Berries
• Tuesday, June 21, Noon – Wild Edibles
• Tuesday, July 19, Noon – Rock Gardening with Succulents & Sedums
• Tuesday, Aug. 16, Noon – First Aid Kit from the Garden
• Tuesday, Sept.20, Noon – Vegetables for Your Fall Garden
• Saturday, Sept. 24, 10 a.m. – Monarch Watch
“Pack a lunch and come and join us in our garden for these sessions,” says Marva Ramsey, a Master Gardener who is organizing the classes. “Though hard work, grants and donations, the Master Gardeners of the Ozarks have provided the Taney County MU Extension Center with one of the most beautiful demonstration gardens in the county and we are excited to share it.”
Classes will be held in the backyard of the Taney County Extension Center at 122 Felkins Avenue in Forsyth just down for the Taney County jail. For further information call the Taney County University of Missouri Extension Center at 417-546-4431.
2016 Annual Garden Tour
Also upcoming is the 2016 Master Gardeners of the Ozarks Annual Garden Tour on Friday, June 17th
Registration is $15 and $20 at the door. There is also a special group $10 per person rate (for church and senior groups of six or more) – $10
Included in the all-day tour:
- Demonstration Gardens with butterfly attractions. hostas, roses and more
- Professional Flower Gardens
- Classic Perennial and Evergreen Garden
- Vegetable Gardens for Learning and for Production
- Small Gardens in tight areas, shade and sun
- Landscaping with water features, rock features and more
- Dedicated volunteer gardens and sanctuaries
You can hear further details on these and other events from 8-9 a.m. each every Saturday on the “Master Gardeners Radio Show,” on KRZK FM Radio 106.